Welcome to my Inner World. I am a French self-taught artist, and these past seventeen years I have made Norway my home. Moving to the Lofoten islands was the greatest present I ever made to myself and the Arctic landscapes are indeed a true treat for any artist’s eyes. I live with my British soulmate,… Continue Reading
I have learnt many things while taking this new direction with my latest goblin. I used some fusible interfacing paper in order to stop my hand woven fabric from fraying while sewing the costume but it didn’t work out, my fabric being too thick and too loose. Sewing was a bore. God, I hate sewing. I finished with a white glue and it worked just as fine and actually better: less fraying and more control. But also, quicker! Some bits are still felted, like the shoes, the hands, the antlers and the parts sticking out on the shoulders. I would have never been able to do it in a neat and rigid way without the help of some clear matte varnish. I am really glad I found out this trick. The face is made of paperclay (papier maché) and I’m not sure I like this material entirely. I might try with my ceramic clay next time but without firing it. The clay I use actually contains paper fibers and it is fairly solid, even unfired. I’ll have to see how it shrinks around the glass eyes. For the hair (I love the hair!), I dyed some tencel fibers a dark brown and it became all curly… and blonde, ha!ha! I guess it doesn’t take too well the acid dye then, but I love this Venetian blonde. I also incorporated one of my ceramic beads, the bird. I have to make some more. All in all, I am pleased about this new direction, and very, very inspired.
Now let me introduce this little goblin who is very much into books and is a bit shy..
It looks like a toy and actually feels like one because it’s so small and light but it does the job. It’s only 25 cm wide but I needed it for my experimental weaving. It’s perfect for making miniature clothes for my goblins. It took me only a couple of hours to weave my first piece. This grey and primitive fabric will dress a goblin who likes to spend some time alone and who tends to be very contemplative.
Today, I tried a different approach, I needle felted and wet felted (in that order) a mushroom and a piece of cloth. And then I dyed them with a paintbrush. The dye was uncontrollable on the mushroom and on the piece of cloth, the shading was quite decent, although I could have done it better:
The mushroom, although interesting, was not what I wanted to achieve, so I put it aside in order to work with the cloth. The cloth was not totally felted so I could assemble it and give it the shape of a dome. I added a foot and this is what I got:
This is the kind of shading I want, I like that very much. I enhanced it with a bit of silk here and there, a few suspicious red dots and some sparkling angelina fibers and tada!
Now, my faith in felt is restored, I can perhaps spend the rest of the day painting. I think from now on, I will make lots of little pre-felted pieces and dye them with beautiful shadings, ready to be incorporated into my 3D felting or into goblin clothing..
I wish I had enough space to make a little felted garden. Maybe I’ll make one on a little shelf. I just have to find a space on my walls!.